Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Michael W. Moses Goes to MobiCon XV in Mobile, Alabama, 2012

Here is a post that is a bit different for my blog. 

I have been a fan of Science Fiction and Fantasy literature and anything else related to the theme for as long as I can remember.  As a child I think I read every piece of classic science fiction and fantasy that was available. I would anxiously wait for the local drugstore to get in the latest paperbacks to see what new works were out in paperback.
So naturally Conventions are a real draw for me.

Michael W. Moses with the mysterious "Pussy the Cat" 





On Saturday the 19th I went to  MobiCon, Mobile's premier science fiction, fantasy, anime, gaming, comics, paranormal, Cosplay, and media convention.  From the moment I enter the doors of the Ashbury Hotel on Airport Blvd.  I was overwhelmed by the number of people in attendance!
Everywhere I looked there were people and so many of them were in costume.  It is nothing for people to come to these cons in costume, but in the last few years it seems that fewer people have been costuming at local conventions.  Well, There were people in Super Hero costumes. Characters from Japanese anime series. People dressed like characters from various different games.  Television characters. And loads of Steampunk inspired costumes.

After my arrival I changed into my costume for the afternoon.  I dressed in a jaunty modern Japanesque outfit, That I unfortunately did not get any images of on my camera.  I will post one in a future post, if I can get one of the many people that took pictures of this costume to email me one.


A view of the merchant's room at MobiCon XV
I spent the afternoon walking around talking with friends and meeting people. I wandered around the merchant room and looked at all the different things that the dealers had brought out for the fans to buy. I saw some really great bead work done by a very talented beader. Cool leather steam punk goggles. A wide variety of little tiny steampunk hats. That I must say would have been great to put on my cats and take pictures to put on line to embarrass them.  There were a number of people selling vintage and even a few antique items.  I bought a nice inlaid bone and exotic wood, vintage box that was more than likely made in Egypt. I also bought a great little 1920's-30's tin typewriter ribbon can that has a Japanese Geisha design on the lid.

After going out for dinner I changed into something a bit more evening appropriate  I wore a mildly steam punk, Mister Hyde character outfit of Golden evening jacket, red shirt, black pants, and top hat.  As pictured above in the image with the mysterious "Pussy the Cat", who just happened to make a special appearance, to the delight of all but the rodent visitors at the con.

I spent most of the evening, as I had for part of the afternoon taking a few images here and there.

The Game Room at MobiCon XV 2012

The costume contest was well attended by both costumers and attendees.  I can say that it looked as if a good time was had by all. 

The Top Winner of the Costume Contest

He Designed and Built His Own Steampunk  Apparatus 
Contestants During the Costume Contest
Author Christopher Rice and Michael W. Moses
 
As I was leaving I had the pleasure to meet the writer Christopher Rice and chat for a few minutes and get a quick picture taken.

I spent the rest of the evening talking with good friends and enjoying a very nicely chilled, couple of bottles of champagne.

The evening ended rather late and had an uneventful ride home to the O.S. Sigh, not even a flying saucer sighting.

Over all, after all the chaos that has swirled around the shop closing, moving to a new home, and reopening the shop at Centuries Antique Mall in D'Iberville, MS.  MobiCon was a much needed mini vacation that has left me ready to throw myself back into the fray of daily life with renewed vigor.

See more photos of MobiCon XV 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment