Friday, December 2, 2011

My Miniature Adenium Obesum and It's Alien Ruins Planter

Today's post is about a plant that I got from a garden friend of mine that lives in Hurley, MS. It is a miniature Adenium Obesum. I got this plant about 2 years back and was so thrilled that I immediately came back home and jumped on my computer to look it up online. I was not able to find any real information about it at all. I found no images and only a few mentions. There were a couple of places online where people were saying that they had seeds for sale, but not a single plant. I have found out that even if this miniature form is not rare, it is still extremely uncommon. There are a couple of images of miniature Adenium Obesum online now. They show them having small but not actually miniature flowers. I hope that when and if mine ever blooms that it will have miniature flowers. Now that would be nice now wouldn't it.



I decided that being that this was a special little plant that I would create a one of a kind ceramic art pottery pot for it. Here is what it looks like now that it has had most of the summer to acclimate to it's new pot and a couple of other size appropriate plants. The small Adenium Obesum sticking up in the back is a tip that broke off of one of my full size plants that I am trying to get to root.  I have been enthralled by images of giant Olmec stone heads among ruins and giant Angkor Wat heads with trees growing out of them since I was a small child and so a planter like this would only be natural for me to create. I call this my "Alien Ruins Planter". Of course not having access to a kiln that will fire a forty foot tall one I settled on one that is about six inches tall instead, but I really love miniatures anyways.


My "Alien Ruins Planter" may currently beee viewed at South Coast Antiques & Gallery in Ocean Springs, MS.

No comments:

Post a Comment