Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Ceramic Art Pottery of the Martin Brothers of London

One of the great inspirations in my artistic life was a book that I saw at my local public library when I was about 10 years old. This was a book that had about eight pages of photographs of the pottery of the Martin Bothers of London. The brothers created Martinware studio Pottery from 1873-1923.  I was deeply into all things to do with the city of London and especially Victorian London. When I first saw these eight pages of images I just could not look at them enough.  I checked this book out of the library over and over and over again. There is something about their quintessentially Victorian, Arts and Crafts pottery that is almost the epitome of the Victorian era. Read a bit more about the Martin Brothers here.

Here are a few images of pottery that the Martin Bother made, that I have gleaned from the net.










No comments:

Post a Comment