Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Human Heart, Valentines Day,Carla Zilber-Smith, and My Chthonian Drinking Vessel

Today's post is a little different than any of my previous posts. but it is ultimately a post about art. In this case an artist and how she turned her very life into a work of art.
Today I was working on a bisque ware drinking vessel. It has a cryptic Chthonian design on one side and has a stylized human heart on the other side. I was looking on Google for an image of a human heart that had more realistic colors than the typical red and blue color scheme that one always sees in images of human hearts. I found this image.
 It was a post about Valentines day that had me just enthralled with it's wit and the over all quality of the writing. I was going to contact the person and thank her for here wonderful Valentines day post, when I realized it was from last year. I jumped to the most recent post and was stunned. The authoress of this piece Carla Zilber-Smith had subcome to ALS AKA Lou Gherig's disease on May 17th, 2010. I next found myself in tears. It just has never occurred to me that I could be reading a blog that had been written by one that is no longer on the same plain of existence that I am. I can not coherently explain the attraction that this woman's words has had on me. all I can say is that I have become a follower of her blog. I know that she will probably not be doing anymore posts, but she might. I know this sounds a bit weird, but she might. She wrote her own obituary and also made a surprise memorial video, that can be seen on YouTube. She seemed to have been a very cool woman and because of the internet a small piece of her has survived for the world to experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment